Welcome to Parinita!
Founded in 2013, we are an exclusive online store for traditional sarees from Bengal.
Each of our sarees is individually crafted by artisans and defines the rich cultural heritage of the region, that has been passed down through generations in the weaving communities. Parinita sarees originate in the districts of Bengal and Bangladesh, each with its own weaving and artistic tradition, going back to Mughal and British times or even earlier. Over the ages, the weaving styles, designs and motifs have evolved to represent changing tastes and sensibilities.
These sarees offer wonderfully diverse choices in the use of fabrics, textures, colours and patterns. They range from being light and comfortable, thus suitable as everyday attire, to being made of richer fabrics with elaborate patterns for wearing during festivals and weddings.
Some important milestones that define our journey:
- Feb 15, 2013 – Our website goes live
- Feb 28, 2013 – We got our 1st customer, a physician from Bangalore
- April, 2013 – Started accepting payments from international customers
- May, 2013 – Got our 1st international order from Canada. Today, 25% of our customers come from US, UK and Canada.
- Aug, 2013 – Our 1st customer from Singapore. SE Asia and North Asia form a small yet significant section of our clientele now.
- Oct, 2013 – Celebrated our 1st Durga Puja. Women from over 30 towns and cities across India shopped with us during this festival season.
- Dec, 2013 – Started shipping to Australia & New Zealand, adding a key geography to our customer base.
- April, 2014 – Received our 1st order from Europe. An increasing number of our patrons come from this region today.
- June, 2014 – Added handloom sarees from other regions of India (outside Bengal) to our catalog
- June, 2014 – Got our 1st order from the Middle-East, adding another important cluster of the Indian diaspora to our map
- August, 2014 – Started selling men's kurtas on our website
- April, 2015 – Launched a mobile-friendly website, as over half of our visitors now reach us on their mobile devices
- August, 2015 – Started selling hand-crafted dupattas on our website.
- Nov, 2015 - Rolled out a loyalty program to reward returning customers with attractive discounts
- June, 2016 - Added Bishnupuri silk sarees to our catalog.
- August, 2017 - Added Dhakai Jamdani sarees from Bangladesh to our collections
- January, 2018 - Activated PayPal on our website for the benefit of our overseas customers
- December, 2018 - Started selling kantha-embroidered kurtis for women on our website
- April, 2019 - Added variety to our kurti collection with baluchari and jamdani kurtis